Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Chisels and Welders

Every year on January 12, there is one person that I regularly have on the brain. His name is Joseph Ryan Waldrop. Today (1/12/10) would have been his 27th birthday. However, my friend Joe passed away over 4 years ago now. Joe was parapalegic due to a childhood illness and it didn't help at all also being in a couple car accidents during his lifetime. But if you ever talked to Joe, that's not what was priority to him. To him, the thing that mattered most were the people that he surrounded himself with, his "support system" persay.

The first time I met Joe in person, he and his friend drove from Mobile, Alabama to Cincinnati, Ohio to be a part of my graduation from my first year of Master's Commission. I don't think I could put into words what that meant to me.... After graduation, Joe let me know that he also wanted to be a part of Master's Commission. Joe, however, starting having seizures, which prevented him from coming the following year. We kept in touch frequently, encouraging each other, and just being the best friend that we could be.

The following summer, June 2004, I received the voice mail that made my heart drop. Joe had passed away. He had had a severe seizure, and didn't make it. His brother proceeded to explain about funeral plans, visitation, etc. After I cried for a few minutes I realized, he was finally free from that wheelchair. He and God were up in heaven probably listening to his favorite band, Five Iron Frenzy. :)

Today, especially, I was thinking: "What was it about Joe specifically that makes me re-evaluate life on this day every year?" And I think I may have come up with it...

I think that everyone that's in our life is put there for a "reason and a season" as I've heard it called. But some people just help chisel small parts of us into who we are meant to be and others are welders, making a massive impact on who we are, and ever more-so, who we are meant to be. Joe, for me, was a welder. He is a big part of the person that I am today. I think that we all have several people with chisels to help shape us, but we have only a few welders. Who are those people for you?

Don't take for the granted the relationships you have at this point in your life. Appreciate the moments you are given. And be grateful for all the people that shape the person that you are and that you CAN become.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your story. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. My friend Matt died unexpectedly while riding his bike on his 31st birthday because of an unknown cardiac condition. Given our ages, and the fact we both had heart issues, I am thinking a lot about him and what he stood for when I ride my bike. I even think I'm naming my bike Maddy, which is what we called him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an amazing person Mel. I realize whenever we talk what a blessing you are to me. I don't know if you are in my life for a season or a lifetime, but either way, you will be with me forever. I hope that you know how much you mean to people. You have an amazing heart, a compassionate soul & an independent spirit....I hope that you see that too. Love Ya Girl

    ReplyDelete